Vegan Macaroni Pie Recipe
This recipe is one I hold near and dear to my heart, it is a plant-based interpretation of my Guyanese grandmother’s macaroni pie recipe. Macaroni pie is a popular dish across the Caribbean, unlike the classic creamy American style mac ‘n’ cheese, the texture is firm and quiche-like, yum! Macaroni pie is the ultimate comfort food, perfect on a cold evening or for a family BBQ on a summer’s day.
You can eat macaroni pie hot or cold and you can keep it stored for 3-5 days. If you are interested in trying a plant-based version of the delicious Caribbean Macaroni Pie, then make this recipe. Oh, and make sure you find a great plant-based cheese alternative because it is the main ingredient!
- 4 tbsp of cornstarch (or 3 vegan egg replacements).
- 1 large white onion.
- 2 cloves of garlic.
- 1 pinch of nutmeg.
- a can of coconut milk 400ml.
- 4 large tomatoes.
- 1 tsp spicy paprika.
- 1 tsp onion powder.
- 2 tsp garlic salt.
- 1 stock cube.
- 200g of vegan mozzarella.
- 100g block vegan cheddar.
- 1/2 tsp Black salt (optional).
- 500g macaroni.
Method – How to cook vegan macaroni pie
1. First, preheat the oven to 180 °Celsius (356 °Fahrenheit) and boil the macaroni according to the package.
2. Secondly, grate the blocks of cheese into the same bowl, set one quarter of the cheese aside for the topping. Slice the tomatoes into think slices and set aside too.
3. Thirdly, dice the onion thinly and slice the garlic. Next, heat up a pot/pan, add oil and sauté them until translucent.
4. Then, pour the coconut milk into the pot (with the onions and garlic). Next, heat the coconut milk on medium-low heat, then, add the nutmeg, stock cube, pepper, paprika, black salt, onion powder and garlic powder. Stir until combined. Taste, and re-season if necessary.
5. Then, drain the macaroni and place it into a large pot. Add in the coconut cream and the grated cheese and mix until well combined. Note: allow the sauce to cool down before step 7.
6. Next, prepare three egg replacements. Alternatively, make a cornstarch slurry. Mix four tablespoons of cornstarch to seven tablespoons of water.
7. Now, slowly combine the cornstarch slurry to the cooled down sauce and slowly pour it into the macaroni. Grate the cheese into the pot and combined well. Taste, and re-season (if necessary).
8. Finally, pour the mixture into a baking tray and top with the sliced tomatoes and the remaining cheese. Cook it for 35-40 minutes at 180 °Celsius (356 °Fahrenheit).
Are you looking for a recipe to pair this Macaroni Pie with? Why not try my Vegan Wings recipe linked here?
Did you like this recipe? Feel free to share it with friends and family via social media. Thanks!