Vegan Kimchi Fried Rice
Did somebody say kimchi fried rice? Don’t worry I have you covered. This recipe is quick, easy and more importantly tasty! Personally, I am a big fan of South Korean cuisine especially kimchi. Kimchi is a popular spicy fermented side dish in South Korea, it is popularly made with cabbage but can be made with other vegetables such as cucumber and radishes. Kimchi is high in probiotic and boasts a delicious tangy flavour. While you can enjoy kimchi as a side dish, it is often incorporated into other recipes such as fried rice, pancakes and so on. In today’s recipe, I will be giving my interpretation of kimchi fried rice but made with vegan kimchi. I truly hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Note: this recipe is for 3-5 people if you want less, half the ingredients.
- 550g cooked white rice (ideally leftover rice).
- 200g of kimchi.
- 1-2 cloves of grated garlic
- 20g toasted sesame seeds.
- 1-2 tbsp of soy sauce.
- 60g of frozen peas.
- 60g of butter.
- 1-2 tsp of sesame seed oil.
- Neutral flavoured cooking oil (as needed).
- 1 red pepper (optional).
- 2 spring onions.
- 1 nori sheet (optional).
Method – How to make Kimchi Fried Rice
1. First, prep the vegetables by cutting the peppers into thin strips, chopping the spring onions, thawing the peas and grating the garlic.
2. Secondly, heat up a wok with a generous amount of oil. Keep the wok on medium heat and add the butter followed by the grated garlic. Now, let the garlic fry for thirty seconds before adding the peas, peppers and kimchi. Then, allow it to fry for 2-3 minutes whilst stirring.
Note: make sure you cut the kimchi into smaller pieces before frying.
3. Thirdly, add in rice with the soy sauce, a drizzle of sesame seed oil and liquid from the kimchi. Let it fry until sauce is well incorporated (this should take 2-4 minutes).
Note: add more oil if necessary.
4. Finally, take a taste and re-season to your liking. Then, top it with the sesame seeds, shredded nori and 1-2 spring onion (depending on your preference). If you want you can add more protein by panfrying some tofu.
Did you like this kimchi fried rice recipe? Why not check out some more delicious recipes? Such as my coconut ramen recipe linked – here. Thank you for visiting my blog, if you enjoyed it please give it share with your family and friends.