Have you ever thought about making vegan wings? Well, think no further, this recipe will show you a simple way to make a chicken wing alternative. While fried wings aren’t the healthiest of foods, they do make a great sharing snack. This quick recipe is a delicious plant-based take on fried chicken wings. Usually, recipes for vegan wings use cauliflower, however, I prefer to use oyster mushrooms. Oyster mushrooms have a great fleshy texture, which is great for mimicking certain meats, please enjoy this snack with some vegan ranch or your favourite dipping sauce. I hope you enjoy this simple vegan recipe!
- 500g of oyster mushrooms
- 100g flour
- 2 tsp of vegan chicken seasoning
- vegetable oil for frying
- 300ml sauce of choice e.g. BBQ or Hot sauce.
1. Start by preheating the oven to 180°C (optional, you nay decide to just coat them once they are finished frying for the quicker alternative).
2. Next, rinse the mushrooms and break them apart into wing-like sizes.
2. Put the mushrooms into a bowl and season them with the chicken seasoning. Next, add a sprinkle of salt to the flour and coat the mushrooms in the flour.
4. Then, prepare a pan with the oil (enough for a shallow fry). Allow the oil to reach a temperature of 190°C.
5. Next, gently place each mushroom into the pan, fry them on each side for 5-7 minutes (or until crispy). When they are golden take them out and place them onto a paper towel to rest for a few minutes.
6. Finally, coat the mushrooms in your sauce of choice and place them onto a baking tray (if you want them baked). Alternatively, you can smother them in sauce and eat as is but just to warn you this is the messier version and be prepared for sticky fingers. If you chose to cook them, then, place the mushrooms in the middle of the preheated oven for 10 minutes on either side (make sure you put them onto baking paper or a non-stick tray). For the final touch, sprinkle the mushrooms with a pinch of salt and serve them with some vegan ranch. Enjoy.