Dal is an Indian lentil soup, it is a popular dish amongst Indian restaurants. This nutrient-dense dish is perfect for the autumn season as it is warm and hearty. You are sure to feel satiated from this high protein meal. I hope you enjoy my recipe.
- grated ginger 20g
- 1 diced onion
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 diced red pepper
- can of tomatoes 400g
- 2 tbsp of tomato concentrate
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 400ml of coconut milk
- 350g orange lentils
- peas 80g
- a handful of spinach (optional)
- 300g of diced sweet potatoes (around two small potatoes).
- 2 tbs curry powder
- 1/2 garam masala
- 1/2 ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 small deseeded chilli (optional)
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tbsp sugar (optional)
- Prepare your ingredients. First, open the can of tomatoes and coconut milk. Make sure you have your vegetable stock on hand. You may dilute the tomato concentrate by adding it to the vegetable stock.
- Next, heat up a deep pot on medium heat and add 1-2 tablespoons of oil. Once heated, add the curry powder, chilli and spices. Keep a close eye on the mix (don’t let it burn). Once it has changed colour slightly add the onions, ginger and garlic and let them saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Then, add the diced peppers and sweet potatoes to the pot with a sprinkle of salt, adjust the oil if more is needed. A healthier alternative is adding a spoon of coconut cream or vegetable stock (instead of the oil).
- Next, add in the lentils and combined it with the vegetables quickly. Once it is combined immediately add the vegetable stock, coconut milk and the can of tomatoes.
- Now, bring the vegetables and lentils to a boil, once it reaches a boil lower the temperature to medium-low heat. Cover the pot with a lid and let the mixture simmer for 25 minutes (continue to stir).
- Keep checking, adjust the heat lower if the dal is sticking to the bottom.
- At the 20-minute mark test the dahl, adjust the seasoning by adding some sugar and salt if needed. At this point, you can add the peas and other quick to cook vegetables such as spinach if you wish. Let it simmer for another 5 minutes.