This is my take on a vegan “fish” burger. It is simple to make and delicious to eat. Best served hot with a side of chips or potato wedges. This dish was created when I fancied a British fish and chip style meal but my husband wanted a burger. It is not the healthiest of dishes but it makes a great cheat meal. I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Serve 4. Cook time: 30mins.
- 2 blocks of tofu (400g).
- 1 Lemon
- 1 sheet of nori.
- 1 tbs of nori flakes (optional).
- 150g flour and some for dusting.
- 4 tbs of corn starch.
- 1 tsp of baking soda.
- 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- 1-2 tsp salt
- Bottle/can of beer (you will need enough to make a double cream-like consistency).
- 4 burgers
- Salad (optional)
- Capers (optional)
- Vegetable oil (for frying).
- 5-6 tbs of vegan mayonnaise.
- 1 medium pickle.
- 1 tsp dill.
- Pinch of salt (or to taste).
- Juice of half a lemon.
- Tsp of white vinegar.
- Half a tsp of sugar.
For the phish.
- Slice the tofu blocks in half and squeeze some lemon juice onto each of them along with a small pinch of salt.
- Cut the nori sheets to match the size of each tofu and place a sheet on the upside. Note: make sure there is enough moisture on the tofu for the nori to stick. If there isn’t then use extra lemon juice.
- Place the tofu on top of each other and set it aside until it is ready to fry. Note: if you want it to be infused with a stronger sea taste, then leave it in the fridge for longer.
- Next, mix the flour, corn starch, cayenne pepper, nori flakes, salt and baking soda in a bowl. Slowly, add the beer and mix the batter until you get a double cream-like consistency. Note: don’t add all the beer, just enough to create the right consistency.
- Set the mixture in the fridge for 10-20 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare the Tartar sauce, by dicing the pickle into small cubes and mix all the ingredients together.
- Wash enough salad for the four burgers and cut the buns.
- Prepare a pot of oil by slowly bringing it up to 190 degrees Celcius (375 Fahrenheit).
- Prepare a shallow plate with flour for coating. Take the tofu fillets and pat them in the dusting flour and then, place into the batter mixture, slap the fillets gently on each side to get rid of excess batter.
- Place the fillet gently in the hot oil and carefully move the tofu to avoid it sticking to the bottom. Fry them on each side for 3 minutes or until it is golden, then, put it on a cooling rack and a sprinkle them of salt.
- Assemble the burgers by placing sauce on each side of the bun and adding the salad, capers and optional ketchup.